WOHS GSA Responds to Comments Made at 4/19 BOE Meeting

On Wednesday, April 19th, the West Orange Board of Education met to discuss various emerging policies, including policy 5145.70 regarding Gender Identity and Expression. Policy 5145.70 addresses the complicated matter of using bathrooms, locker rooms and other complex situations that may arise for gender nonconforming students.

Contrary to the overwhelming support for the policy, Irving Schwarzbaum, the board’s vice president was opposed. He commented that, by passing the policy, the school district would be “opening [itself] up to issues of abuse.” Schwarzbaum continued, asserting that we live in a “very litigious society” and that this policy is “uncharted territory.”

Although it is understandable for board members to have legal concerns over policies, Schwarzbaum’s comments were unnecessary because the Board’s legal counsel had already addressed these concerns. This seemed to be understood by all other members of the board, bringing into question what motivated Schwarzbaum to address it so publically. Furthermore, Schwarzbaum’s claim that the policy could be abused and is unprecedented is blatantly false. Had Schwarzbaum done his own research, he would have seen that according to the New Jersey School Boards Association, there have been zero cases of abuse in districts where the law has already been implemented.

What is more concerning is how Schwarzbaum handles himself in relation to such a sensitive topic. As a public figure, it is expected that Schwarzbaum would be able to conduct himself more eloquently and speak with more consideration when addressing such sensitive topics. In addition, the kind of message it portrays to students, staff and community members is not a positive one. This is the type of rhetoric that alienates gender nonconforming students, when it is the board’s agenda to create a safe and inclusive learning environment for all students. Barring students from such a basic right as going to the bathroom would be a step in the wrong direction.

“I’m just trying to use the bathroom,  that’s all I want to do,” said Jean Pierre, an 11th grade trans-student and “ I’m not going to attack anyone,” he said with a laugh.  

Fortunately, Schwarzbaum’s views are not representative of most students at West Orange High School. If you are looking for a safe space or would simply like to contribute to the conversation, stop by the Gay Straight Alliance Club.