Tuesdays with TSA!

In a world that is constantly evolving at the hands of engineers, students in the Technology Student Association aim to be at forefront of this movement. The Technology Student Association, better known as TSA, is run by two teachers of the tech ed. department, Ms. Celi and Mr. Grossman, and takes place on Tuesdays in room 1161.

The goal of this club is to familiarize students with science, technology, engineering, and mathematics by applying their knowledge to state competitions and club-based projects. In past years, the students of TSA have constructed their own trebuchets and miniature blimps to battle amongst one another. Through this club, two teams of students led by President, Kevin Zeligson, and Vice President, Matt Hascsak, were able to participate in the inaugural STEAM tank workshop in Atlantic City. This workshop focuses on students competing against other school districts by presenting a new invention, innovation, or solution to an existing issue. With the resources and guidance supplied by the TSA, Kevin presented a bike that had the ability to charge a phone and Matt presented an expandable filter to a board of STEM-driven officials from the US army. Currently members of the TSA are building a robot for the Junior Robotics League to compete amongst other schools. The team is programming a robot to dance to a song and afterwards they will give a presentation on the design process.

Students have benefitted from the skills they have gained from the TSA towards their academic classes. “The TSA has been a great club and I’m proud to be a part of it,” said Luis Soto, a senior in the club. “From this club I have learned a lot more about engineering and mathematics that I have been applied to my classes.”

In the future Ms. Celi hopes to expand the club by encouraging more female representation so that all students can have the opportunity to learn new and applicable skills. The TSA is an inviting and hands-on club that encourages students to work together to solve the STEM-based issues of tomorrow.