The Pioneer

The Pioneer

• September 17WOHS will be administering the PSATs to 10th and 11th Graders on October 10th

The Hangar

WEST ORANGE, Nj — Do not get it twisted, the new JROTC room is no ordinary classroom. What was once the Choir Room, turned classroom, turned Avid room, Room 1130 is now a new addition to the West Orange High School (WOHS) Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) work space known as the Hangar. The goal being to replicate a real Air Force Hangar.

The driving force behind the big move lies behind the need for more space. The Program is required a set amount of room for its cadets to practice marching drills. The old rooms did not meet these standards at all. This left the entirety of the program practicing in the hallways or wherever they could find space. Principle Moore and the Major Marchesini of JROTC came to the conclusion that Room 1130 was a perfect fit for meeting this requirement. With that, the new space was handed over to the program.

Major Marchesini believes that aside from meeting requirements, the room will bring a professional atmosphere to the program. He stated, “Every program has a space to call their own. The sports teams have the bubble. We have an area that can hold a sizeable amount of kids.” Major Marchesini firmly believes that the space will add to the quality of the program, the experiences its cadets will have, and act as a recruitment tool for future cadets. Major Marchesini said this would not be possible without the full support of the Superintendent, and is ready for the next big step in the program.

Current sophomore and JROTC cadet, Shawn Sandels, believes that the new room “sets a different vibe from an academic class” and that the room “is more professional compared to the other room.” Additionally Alina Chant, the operations officer, says that the room will “help future cadets better learn drill, because they will have their own space instead of finding their own space like we used to,” she also mentioned without hesitation that the new room is worth it.

The West Orange JROTC program is growing faster and faster into one of the best programs of its kind. With more and more kids joining, the coveted program space is of the utmost importance. This new room acts as a testament to the hard work being done by the program’s members. Above all, the program has gained another asset in making the program all the more professional. Whatever you do, do not call it a classroom. It is a Hangar!