The Pioneer

The Pioneer

• September 17WOHS will be administering the PSATs to 10th and 11th Graders on October 10th

WOHS Mountaineer Book Club

Ela Gonzales, Copy Editor

WEST ORANGE, NJ – What do the books “13 Reasons Why,” “Divergent,” “Forgive Me,” and “Leonard Peacock” have in common? They have all been read by our very own West Orange High School (WOHS) Mountaineer Book Club!

The club was officially approved in 2015 by the Board of Education. Through a mini grant, the WOHS PTA was able to fund the club’s first set of books.

“We originally started book club when we had four 30 minute lunch blocks which as you can imagine, was extremely difficult,” said Book Club Adviser and School Librarian Mrs. Tindall, “by the time students got their lunches and came to the library, lunch was over! Also, I had to meet four different groups of students which was fun but very hectic!”

This year, the club has begun reading “Almost Home: Helping Kids Move from Homelessness to Hope.” It’s a nonfiction novel that tells the story of six teenagers and their struggles of life with no home. They also plan on reading the young adult novel, “The Hate You Give” by Angie Thomas next, anything after depends on club members interest and availability of copies.

A typical book club meeting consists of discussions and debates about issues occurring in the book that is currently being read.

“Many times, we react to questions I may post or characters’ quotes and situations by writing and drawing with markers and butcher paper,” added Mrs. Tindall.

According to Mrs. Tindall, the WOHS Mountaineer Book Club strives to promote an understanding and tolerance of differing backgrounds and opinions, appreciation of well written young adult literature and encouragement of a lifelong love for reading. The club meets twice a month on Wednesdays in the school’s library media center and students can join any time throughout the year! If anyone has any questions don’t hesitate to stop by and see Mrs. Tindall at the LMC or email her at [email protected]!