The Pioneer

The Pioneer

• January 12National Girls & Women in Sports Day: Come cheer on the WOHS Girls Basketball teams in honor of this day on Feb 1 in the Tarnoff Gym starting at 5:30pm

S. C. O. R. E.

New York Giants guard David Diehl waves goodbye after his team defeated the Dallas Cowboys in their NFC Divisional NFL playoff football game in Irving, Texas, January 13, 2008.    REUTERS/Mike Stone (UNITED STATES)

REUTERS

New York Giants guard David Diehl waves goodbye after his team defeated the Dallas Cowboys in their NFC Divisional NFL playoff football game in Irving, Texas, January 13, 2008. REUTERS/Mike Stone (UNITED STATES)

Matthew Schwartz, Student Journalist

WEST ORANGE, Nj — The 2017- 2018 Leadership Conference held at Columbia High School invited all Essex County winter sports team leaders to learn about what it takes to be a successful captain. With food, a guest speaker, and free stuff, the conference had the whole package. However, most importantly, there was a lot to learn.

The Conference started with a casual group breakfast where alike sports teams sat together. During this time the athletes were able to talk with fellow athletes in their sport, and coaches could catch up with fellow coaches. It was strange to see the mutual respect for one another where one might think there would be a more competitive atmosphere. After about thirty minutes of eating and talking, the supervisor of the event moved everyone into the auditorium.

After a few exchanged words with the staff of the high school, former New York Giants Tackle, David Deal emerged. The man, seven feet high made West Oranges’ tallest basketball players look tiny. He stood with an unmeasurable amount of confidence that became contagious.

Deal’s discussion with the athletes was about mentality and how to be confident.

“Body language never whispers, it screams,” Deal said addressing the matter.

The biggest takeaway from the seminar was an acronym. S.C.O.R.E. was Deal’s secret weapon: self discipline, confidence, optimism, relax, and enjoy.

Deal continued discuss the importance of time management and being prepared, while discussing crazy stories from his career. This conference was more than just eating and chatting, it exposed the core values of a good leader, student, and person.