The Pioneer

The Pioneer

• January 12National Girls & Women in Sports Day: Come cheer on the WOHS Girls Basketball teams in honor of this day on Feb 1 in the Tarnoff Gym starting at 5:30pm

2017: A Year in Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

2017: A Year in Review

Seamus Murphy

Seamus Murphy

Seamus Murphy

Seamus Murphy, Student Journalist

It started with the word “Hollyweed” in California. That same day, North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, announced the testing of long-range ballistic missiles. Then, news of a terrorist attack in Istanbul, Turkey. A shooting at a club leaving several dead. All on the same day of the year, January 1st, 2017. 2017 was interesting to say the least.

In the United States, January was the month of President Donald Trump’s inauguration into office. Protests took place on the 19th and 20th as response. Protest organizers included The Women’s March, DisruptJ20, and many other anti-Trump protesters.

Politics in the United States was focused on Trump. This ranged from his tweets, public statements, and legislation. Some of Trump’s major actions include the Travel Ban, tax reform, and the removal from the Paris Climate Accord.

In August, there was the white nationalist march in Charlottesville, VA. Known as the “Unite the Right” rally, where crowds of white nationalists marched through the streets of Charlottesville. Many were equipped with torches, they were protesting the removal of a Confederate statue. Counter-protesters then took action. It ended with 3 deaths.

Chris Christie featured in the movie “Up”

In New Jersey politics, there was the election of Phil Murphy as governor. There was also the scandal involving Chris Christie, who closed Island Beach State Park in July. Christie and his family used the beach recreationally, causing public irritation and the meme craze took over shortly after. Pictures of Christie sitting on his beach chair placed in various movie scenes spread rapidly.  

Entertainment also had its share of scandals. There was the Disney-Fox merger, giving Disney the rights to $52 billion worth of Fox and Fox assets.

The year had several lawsuits and accusations over sexual harassment. The Harvey Weinstein lawsuit for example, where over 80 women have accused Weinstein of assault or harassment. Allegations of sexual misconduct and harassment also include Kevin Spacey, George Takei, James Franco, and more.

Historically, 2017 may be remembered as a “bad” year, but so was 2016 and 2015. Let’s hope 2018 earns a better rep.