The Pioneer

The Pioneer

• September 17WOHS will be administering the PSATs to 10th and 11th Graders on October 10th

The Cheapest Places to Pursue Education Abroad

Ismail Taylor-Kamara, Features and Fashion editor

Canada

Canada has been known to offer lower priced universities that are just as good as American Division 1 institutions. On average, international student tuition in Canada ranges between $12,000 and $25,000, which is exponentially lower than most American Universities. However, unlike the US, Canada doesn’t have a Common Application, meaning every application for each school must be different. Most universities in Canada are public and rarely offer Bachelor’s Degrees. To counter this, the Canadian schools do offer three year bachelor programs unlike the American standard, four years. However, these bachelor programs do not always meet the requirements for graduate school and put students at a disadvantage. Despite that, these programs tend to be popular in canada.

France

Specifically Toulouse, France is the most reasonably  priced for an American. The price for education in France is $200 a year. This city tends to have the largest population of students, with living cost lower than that of Paris. In France, admission to University isn’t as selective, rather just applying is enough. University in France doesn’t have as many breaks, amenities, or sports teams that American Universities have. A lot of the Universities in France have courses that cater to the science and astronomy fields, and require knowledge of the French language.  

Norway

Norway offers FREE college to EU citizens and non EU citizens. However, there aren’t some specialized programs. In Norway, there are abundant courses taught in English. The price of living as a student there is $14,530 a year. The average price of an American University is about $25,620 per year for out-of-state students, for private universities $34,740, or $9,970 in state tuition.  

Germany

German is becoming popular for international students, there are a variety of classes taught in English.There are no tuition fees charged at undergraduate and PhD levels at all public universities. The state of Baden-Württemberg in south-west Germany reintroduced tuition fees for non-EU/EEA students in autumn 2017. These students must pay €1,500 (~US$1,800) a semester (€3,000 or ~US$3,600 per year). If you need a German student visa, you’ll need to prove you have around €8,700 (~US$10,400) per year for living expenses. However, you’ll likely need closer to €9,600 (~US$11,500) to live comfortably in Germany.

Taiwan

Taipei, the capital of Taiwan, offers low tuition rates of $3,700 USD. It was ranked as #23 Best Student Cities in the World by TopUniversities.com. In Taiwan, the price for an undergraduate student per year is $3,400-4,200. In the QS Best Student Cities 2017, Taipei was ranked 16th in the world and 16th for affordability.