The Pioneer

The Pioneer

• January 16WOHS Poetry Out Loud Finals will be held TODAY afterschool in the Little Theater at 3:30

• January 12National Girls & Women in Sports Day: Come cheer on the WOHS Girls Basketball teams in honor of this day on Feb 1 in the Tarnoff Gym starting at 5:30pm

• January 1290 Minute Delay: WO Public Schools will be undergoing a 90 minute delayed opening on Wednesday, Jan 16

Homecoming Ceremony

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming Ceremony

Max Green, Features/Featured Teacher/Club Corner Editor

WEST ORANGE, NJ – With the homecoming game last Friday, also came the homecoming ceremony. Many have claimed this homecoming to be one of the best ones in recent memory, possibly ever. So how did this night pan out last Friday at West Orange High School.

Halftime hit at the football game,  the field cleared for this event that set to take the duration of halftime. The event; homecoming crownings. The nominees were ready to get what had been a week of anticipatedly waiting for the senior class to cast their ballots. As the football game entered halftime the moment for these nominees was coming closer.

Who were the nominees? Homecoming King nominees included: Reuben Centeno, Justice Remar, Mike Petros, and Prince Jackson. Homecoming Queen nominees included: Siddhi Modi, Selam Woldai, Gabby Florendo, and Morgan Clark. All candidates who all deserved to be win.

As halftime hit, there was one thing that had to be done before the announcement of homecoming king and queen, and that was the announcement of the Honorary Homecoming King and Queen. This portion of the ceremony was run with tremendous success, finishing with Robert D’Aries being named Honorary Homecoming King, and Cynthia Pena being named Honorary Homecoming Queen. Both of them were very honored to be voted to this honor with Robert saying “Being king was great”, and Cynthia saying “I loved being queen.” The Honorary King and Queen nominations went great, in how it was executed. But now there was only one portion of the ceremony left; the announcement of Homecoming King and Queen.

The time had come, and for many, the anticipation was killing them. Before announcing results, each candidate was introduced and had their credentials stated. The conclusion of the interactions had left all homecoming candidates on stage. One by one, candidates were told they had not won until it came down to the last two candidates in each category. The winners that prevailed from this group were, Homecoming Queen Morgan Clark, and Homecoming King Prince Jackson. The announcement of the two winners was met with a grand cheer from the audience, followed by applause to honor all who were nominated. All nominees got into 4 different golf courts, and as in tradition, took one lap around the track in those golf carts capping off the Homecoming Ceremony at West Orange High School.

West Orange High School’s 2018 Homecoming Ceremony was not only a successful one, but was one of the best ceremonies in years.