The Pioneer

The Pioneer

How This Player went from being an AVERAGE High School Player to NBA Point Guard In 2 Years

Back to Article
Back to Article

Allan Agesilas, Entertainment Editor

Ja Morant a 6’3 point guard for Murray State is projected to be a lottery pick next year but two years ago he wasn’t even the best player on his high school team. Currently, he’s probably the most exciting player to watch in college basketball.

Back in High School, Ja played with some player you might of heard of  he’s just a projected number one pick on the best team in college basketball, Zion Williamson. Playing with AAU team,  that was the best team in South Carolina in his junior year, with players ranked higher than him. It’s evident that he wouldn’t get the looks from colleges that he wished for.

The next summer most of the ranked players have left Ja’s AAU team and he becomes the face of the best aau team in South Carolina.This was his chance to prove his worth, while others might crack under pressure becoming the face of a big basketball program,but Ja lived for this. Having a breakout summer and growing a few more inches Ja started to get recognition from more colleges but still wasn’t ranked and still overlooked.

Now Ja Morant is in his sophomore year for Murray State and is having a stellar year and basically doubling his stats from his freshman year, looking like a whole different player.