New Sports in West Orange High School

New Sports in West Orange High School

It’s Springtime again and you know what that means: new spring sports. It’s finally time to hit the field and play in the sun. But this year at West Orange High School, this spring season isn’t like any other before.

The addition of two new teams: Girls Lacrosse and Boys Volleyball,  which made remarkable achievements this week. Both of their seasons started April 1st and both varsity teams are undefeated as of now, both being 1-0.

Kailee Beal, a health and physical education teacher at WOHS, will head up the nascent varsity program, which will consist largely of underclass level players who are expected to grow with the team and develop chemistry over the next year or two.

“My hopes and expectations this year is to focus on improvement and fundamentals,” Beal said. “As a first-year program, the girls will consistently be working on improving every day. The team is motivated to learn and commit to the sport.”

The way the Boys Volleyball team was formed was very impressive. Junior Jackson Edwards who’s a very skilled and experienced volleyball player put actions into his own hand to start this program. Last year Jackson Edwards attended a West Orange Board of Education meeting to request the approval of the creation of a boys volleyball team at the school.Edwards came prepared with 165 signatures from students who would be interested in playing competitive volleyball. And the board couldn’t say no.

We wish the best of luck to the to West Orange Boys Volleyball team and the West Orange Girls Lacrosse team who look to start their momentous new season victoriously.