Meet the Staff: Marissa Edelman

Q: What’s your full name, grade and age?

A: My full name is Marissa Edelman. I am 17 years old and a senior at West Orange High School. 

Q: What has your high school experience been like so far? Is it what you expected?

A: Right now, there are a lot of ice breakers. I will say that this set up is easier than regular school. However, I miss the socializing aspect of school and feeling like a normal teenager. 

Q: What hobbies do you enjoy outside of school?

A: I am a figure skater which I have done pretty much my entire life. Last year, I took a slight break but I am happy I went back because it will always be a part of my identity. 

Q: Do you know what colleges and areas of studies you are interested in?

A: Currently, it appears that I will be doing either a psychology or social work major with the possibility of a dual major in english. I am currently applying to a lot of state schools and I think I would be happy at whichever one I choose to go to as they are all great options. 

Q: How was freshmen year compared to this year? 

A: Freshman year took a lot of adjusting. It was definitely a new experience in a big school with a lot of unrecognizable faces. Now, with zoom classes, it is a new adjustment but a lot less stressful and has been an easy change to adapt to. 

Q: What piece of advice or motto do you live by?

A: I think it is important to not care about what other people think. It is easy to tell when someone is in their head and when I am in my most genuine state I am my best self. 

Q: What’s one skill you are interested in developing?

A: Right now I am trying to learn how to knit. With school ending at 12 I have a lot of extra time to delve into my creative outlets. 

Q: What’s your favorite part about high school?

A: I like how many opportunities there are. As a senior I am able to pick a lot of classes based off of what I am interested in because I don’t have to fulfill the same requirements. For example, this year I got to take creative writing as an independent study which I am very excited for because writing is one of my biggest passions. 

Q: What’s something people would be shocked to know about you?

A: I am vegetarian.

Q: What inspired you to take journalism?

A: I love to write and I took a different journalism course last year and really enjoyed the class so I wanted to expand my knowledge with another class.