New Quarterly Opt Out Policy

New Quarterly Opt Out Policy

WOHS has started a new opt out policy for quarterlies. Students who do not want to take the quarterly will have to pay up, and give one quarter. However, it  costs one quarter per a quarterly.This means that students will have to pay up to $2.00.

“I got multiple quarters in my backpack right now,” one student stated, “I’d love to use them to opt out of the quarterly.” While this student seemed energetic, another expressed his concern about using the money for the quarterlies instead of snack money.

“I usually bring money to buy snacks at the snack shack. How would I be able to pay? Do I have to give $2.00 to my guidance counselor before the quarterlies? Or do I have to give a quarter to each of my teachers?” However, this student was happy to hear that the opt out policy is as simple as giving the quarter straight to that subject’s teacher.

“This is a great way for students to learn about economics, and that everything has a price. It’s also nice to have an extra 25¢ from each of my students who don’t want to take the quarterly.” One teacher stated on the new policy.

Another stated, “While it would make the process of grading quarterlies a lot easier, I think that this policy is teaching students the wrong lesson, when the real lesson that should be taught is money can’t buy everything,” despite the controversy the new policy will be instated starting September 2017.