Batter Up!

Batter Up!

The Major League Baseball Season recently began this past month. Baseball fans from all over the country have been sporting their team colors proudly and showing support for their favorite baseball team. Even in the hallways of our school, students and teachers are rocking their favorite baseball related jersey or t-shirt. But within West Orange High School, there are multiple fans for several teams and friendly rivalries between opposing teams.

To get an idea of what teams are favored at WOHS, a Google Form was sent out to the student body and staff in early April. The Pioneer received different responses to varying questions relating to the ongoing season. The first question focused on favorite teams, where the majority of responses said they either didn’t have a favorite team or their favorite team is nonlocal (not a Mets fan nor Yankees fan). When looking at local teams, the Yankees has a bigger fanbase than Mets in the school.

Following that question, students and staff were asked if they thought their team could make it to the postseason. Out of the 50 responses received for the question, 22 of the responses said that their team could make it to the postseason. Seven out of those 22 individuals who said their team could make it to the postseason also added that they could get into the World Series with one saying, “I think the team will make it to the World Series. They easily made it to the playoffs last year and got upset in the first round.”

The last two questions of the form focused on team rivalries. When asked if they have a team that they would like to beat this season, a majority of answers said they had either multiple teams to beat, no preference, or nonlocal teams. Relating to local area teams, the Mets were the local team most people would like to have beat this season. But like all rivalries, a fan has to cheer when the opposing or rival team loses a game.

The Pioneer would like to thank everyone who responded to the form, and wishes good luck to everyone’s favorite team. An unnamed reporter however would like to express his/her support of the Mets and that he/she can’t wait to crush the Yankees!