Damar Hamlin’s Incident

On Monday, January 2nd, 24-year-old Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin suffered cardiac arrest after tackling Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Tee Higgins during the Monday night’s football game. The routine play resulted in Hamlin collapsing on the field for 19 minutes. Medical officials rushed to the field to try to aid Hamlin with the Bills trainer, Denny Kellington being the one to administer the CPR that saved his life.

Many have been speculating about what could’ve caused Halin’s cardiac arrest. It hasn’t been wholly confirmed what caused it but Cardiologists believe it to be a rare trauma called Commotio Cordis. This occurs when a person sustains a severe blow to the chest causing the heart to quiver, ultimately leading to cardiac arrest.

The Bills vs. Bengals game was suspended about an hour after Hamlin collapsed and was postponed indefinitely. Football fans all around sent their prayers to Damar Hamlin as well as Tee Higgins.

When Hamlin arrived at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center he was put on a ventilator but was able to write messages. He began showing “remarkable improvement” and after his week-long stay, he was released from intensive care and transferred to Buffalo General Medical Center where he will continue his treatment. Hamlin shared a couple of tweets to keep everyone updated. One of them states, “Headed home to Buffalo today with a lot of love on my heart. Watching the world come together around me on Sunday was truly an amazing feeling. The same love you all have shown me is the same love that I plan to put back into the world n more. Bigger than football!”

As everyone anticipated Hamlin is doing very well with recovery and tweeted “Not home quite just yet. Still doing & passing a bunch of test. Special thank-you to Buffalo General it’s been nothing but love since arrival! Keep me in y’all prayers please! #3strong.”

Hamlin continues to get better and has returned back to the Bills Facility and went to the teams walk-through. His coach Sean McDermott stated “It’s limited just overall, but he comes in … and just trying to get back to a little bit of a routine.”

“Just getting himself acclimated again and taking it one step, a baby step at a time,” McDermott said. While his progress has been remarkable thus far he still has ways to go until he’s back on the field.