The Pioneer

Mountaineer views on today's news.

The Pioneer

The Pioneer

11/14/23 Update from Superintendent Moore: Student Safety

Directly from woboe.org “SUPERINTENDENT MESSAGE RE: ENSURING STUDENT SAFETY 11.14.2023”

Dear West Orange Public School Community,

I thank everyone who attended last night’s Board of Education meeting, engaging in a crucial and passionate discussion about the safety of our students.

Today I reiterate for the sake of the entire school community: the safety and well-being of ALL of our students is, always has been, and always will be, our paramount concern. This is non-negotiable and lies at the core of our mission.

Regarding the recent alarming incidents of hate speech and threats circulating on local social media groups directed at our students; this behavior is utterly unacceptable and disgraceful, and impacts not only individuals but ripples through our entire community beyond our schools. I undeniably condemn these actions. The district and school administration are proactively working hand in hand with the West Orange Police Department and authorities. Each and every incident is reported for investigation.

Navigating challenges that extend beyond the jurisdiction of our school district, especially on social media platforms, requires a collaborative effort. The school district cannot confront these challenges alone; it is crucial for all community members to report hate speech and threats to the local policing authorities. Additionally, when you witness a threat, report the incident directly on the social media platform as well as to the West Orange Police Department, to ensure appropriate intervention.

Let us lean on our community values and foundation built on unity, peace, mutual respect and support. Our strength is in our diversity, and together we can navigate this period of time and emerge wiser, stronger and unified in peace.

As always, I thank you for your support and dedication to the well-being of our students.

Best regards,

HMoore-Signature

Hayden Moore
Superintendent
West Orange Public School District