In the Wake of the Michigan School Shooting, What’s Happening Next is on People’s Minds

Ethan Crumbley, booking photo released by The Oakland County Sheriff’s Office, December 1, 2021

Oxford High School, Michigan- Charges were filed against 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley, the teenage suspect of the Oxford High School shooting. Charges of terrorism, four counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of assault with intent to murder, and other charges. 

Crumbley will be tried as an adult.

Concerns of behavior with Ethan Crumbley were on the minds of the school officials Tuesday morning when meeting with his parents 3 hours before the shooting.

Taken by Paul Sancya; The Mercury News

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald told CNN that 11 people were shot, with four dead and seven wounded, including a teacher. 

The weapon used was a handgun Ethan’s father, James Crumbley, bought four days prior, on Black Friday.

Photo from the Detroit Free Press

Hana St. Juliana (14), Madisyn Baldwin (17), Tate Myre (16), and Justin Shilling (17) are the students who died. Love and support are continuously sent to the families, friends, and community of the four students lost.

“I want you to know that not both with myself, our school board, my cabinet, our administrators, our teachers, way before the last couple of days, our focus has been on your students. Our number one focus has been on our students and it will continue to be that way going forward.” says the superintendent of Oxford Community Schools, Tim Throne, in a YouTube video.

Love, support, and prayers are being sent out to students, faculty, and families of Oxford High School. 

The District of Oxford High School makes plans to return belongings left behind to students and faculty. 

The emotional and mental health of the students is what is on the district’s minds as of late. Currently, it’s undetermined whether the school will reopen.

Found by investigators, the evidence against Ethan Crumbley was two recovered videos of him speaking the night before the shooting about killing students the next day, including a journal in his backpack that mentions the aspiration of his intentions.

At present, investigators have seen no motives behind his shooting and that there was not a specific student targeted.  

Currently, Ethan Crumbley’s parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, are charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter. All have pleaded not guilty to the charges placed against them.