Winter Sports Lead off the Season with the Pep Rally 

On Friday December 13th, West Orange High School kicked off its annual winter Pep Rally, to get students excited for the upcoming winter sports season and honor the seniors as they enter the final part of their athletic careers and look for success. As tradition, each team performed a brief dance, skit, or performance to get students excited for the season and to start the season off right.

As tradition, the athletic director, Mr. Bligh, kicked the night off by honoring athletes who received honor roll and high honor roll for the first marking period. A special shoutout was given to senior, Gustav Hall who not only achieved straight A’s but was admitted to Brown University.

The award winning girls step team was the first performance of the night. The energetic, powerful, and assertive team did not disappoint. Their performance was stellar and unified as their radiant energy spread throughout the gym. The girls did a good job at ramping up the crowd for remainder of the night.

The swim team followed up an equally exciting dance routine to the remixes of song “Drowning” by A Boogie wit Da Hoodie, “Water” by Ugly God, and “Just Keep Swimming”. It was a very entertaining and humorous performance that added laughs to the night.

After, there was a brief intermission where parents and coaches had competitions to win pizza for their teams. All coaches participated in a basketball shoot-off. Coach Cordasco and Coach Fleck took home the gold for the swim team and girls basketball respectively. 

After the intermission, the wrestling team got us back underway. Every senior executed different take down methods on an unfortunate volunteer. The menacing moves, left “ooh’s” and “ahh’s” echoing throughout the building.

Following them was the newest sports team in West Orange High School, the fencing team. Since the sport is unfamiliar with many people from the school, the fencers displayed three different matches with six of their most proficient swordsmen.

The boys basketball team pursued them, with a fascinating dunking competition and the girls basketball team closed off the night with a dance to various Tik Tok challenges.

The Pioneer would like to wish good luck to all of our varsity sports and hope all seniors enjoy their last high school season.