Preparing for College With TCI

The Collegiate Institute (TCI) is a four year academic program in the school that looks to prepare students for more rigorous courses. Students participate in processes of analysis and evaluation through the use of different methodologies such as Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading (WICOR), and Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) methodologies. For the program, students are also encouraged to take honors and AP Level courses, as well as participate in different school clubs and activities and form study groups.

Similar to other programs in the school, like IMS and IH, there are electives TCI students must take. Freshman and junior year electives focus on college entry and the readiness to take college testing and selection. The importance of taking honors and AP level courses are stressed throughout the sophomore TCI course as well as the focus of organization skills. Twelfth grade TCI students must focus on staying on top of deadlines, and requirements during the 12th grade elective.

Students working in TCI

Getting into this academic program however is the first hurdle a student must accomplish. To apply, students must submit an application and undergo an interview process. Students who are interested in joining the program must have a GPA between 2.0 and 3.0, and have average to high test score grades. Applicants have the potential to improve academically and are motivated to reach their goals. TCI students could also be the first member of their family to go to college. Eighth graders from Liberty and Roosevelt are eligible to apply for this program. Please encourage any younger siblings to explore this option as they transition to high school.