The Pioneer

The Pioneer

The Future of Watching Movies

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Future of Watching Movies

Gimani Bufford, Student Journalist

Streaming platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon are taking over the way we experience movies and director Steven Spielberg is trying the preserve the traditional way everyone knows.

One of the most iconic directors in the world, Steven Spielberg, is fighting to keep cinemas around forever. In a quote from CNN Business, Spielberg stated, “I hope all of us really continue to believe that the greatest contributions we can make as filmmakers is to give audiences the motion picture theatrical experience. I’m a firm believer that movie theaters need to be around forever.”  Netflix quickly responded on Twitter and informed everyone that Netflix is not here to replace traditional theatres but to add equal opportunity. In a tweet, Netflix said: “Access for people who can’t always afford, or live in towns without, theaters; letting everyone, everywhere enjoy releases at the same time; giving filmmakers more ways to share art.”

Spielberg also added that the limitation of films in theatres wouldn’t be included in the oscars. He mentioned in CNN Business that “Once you commit to a television format, you’re a TV movie,”

As Spielberg told ITV News last March, “I don’t believe that films that are given token qualifications, in a couple of theaters for less than a week, should qualify for the Academy Award nomination.”

It’s no doubt that Internet has made it a lot easier to watch your favorite TV shows and movies. In an interview with Emma Mitchell, a sophomore at West Orange High School, she expressed her love for Netflix by saying, “Watching Netflix is more relaxing because I get to stay in my own house… in my comfy clothes…. With plenty of food, And I save money!” Many people also feel the same way. In a general poll asking students whether they prefer staying home or going out to watch movies, 40% said they like the movie theatre experience while 60% said they like streaming services.

Although the many people enjoy watching the latest and greatest movies on their TV, computer, or phone, a lot of people still appreciate the traditional theatrical experience. Jayson Raines, another sophomore at West Orange High School mentioned,  “There are certain types of movies that need a movie theatre to make it better. If you watch a horror movie at home it’s gonna be scary but if you watch a horror movie in the movie theatre it’s gonna be a whole new experience. Plus nothing beats going out with your friends and having a good time.”