Proggya Paromita Wins Art Contest

Proggya Paromita Wins Art Contest

WEST ORANGE, Nj — Current Junior, Proggya Paromita, was crowned victor of the 2017 AENJ/NJPAC Calendar Contest. After two and a half weeks of hard work, Proggya finished 12 individual art pieces for each month of the year. Both Proggya and her Art teacher, Ms. Lapenta, agree on the power of art to express feelings and how important art contests like this are in highlighting fantastic artists.

Ms. Lapenta had  a lot to say about Paromita’s journey through the contest, and art as a whole. She could see Paromita’s talent very early on and concluded that she would be the perfect student to take on the challenge. Ms. Lapenta went on to describe Paromita’s immediate focus and determination in completing the project as she was constantly surrounded by distractions. Ms. Lapenta continued to say how important art contests like the AENJ/NJPAC Calendar Contest are in spotlighting talented art students, especially for schools like West Orange High School, which is filled with talented students. Ms. Lapenta was truly proud of Paromita’s finished product and how she had grown as an artist.

Paromita could not emphasize enough how much art has impacted her life. Coming from another country, creating is her true passion and she fully expresses herself through her work. Paromita has won art contests in the past, however, this last win differed from the rest because now her work is being displayed in the NJPAC Performing Arts Center. This is the first time Paromita’s art is being displayed to such a public audience. Proggya firmly agrees with Ms. Lapenta in the power of art contests. She went on to say, “ I think art contests like the AENJ/NJPAC Calendar Contest are important because they give students like me a chance to express their talent through art. To me, art is just as important and valuable as common core classes like math or science.” Paromita’s love for art is emphasised in her efforts for the contest. She continues to grow as an artist and improve her style every day with the same ambitious attitude. Congratulations Proggya Paromita!!